The English Department maintains four degree-granting graduate programs:
- Literature (MA and PhD)
- Creative Writing (MFA)
- Rhetoric, Composition, and the Teaching of English, known as RCTE (MA and PhD)
- English Applied Linguistics, known as EAL (MA in TESL, with ties to the PhD in SLAT)
Each of these programs is separately administered and has a separate application procedure. In general (some programs may make exceptions or have a different deadline) applications are due in early January (for matriculation the following August). Teaching English as a Second Language degree offered by the University of Arizona admissions are highly selective.
The department therefore urges prospective applicants to confer, by early autumn at the latest, with the Director of the individual program in which they are interested.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Materials & Curriculum Development and Assessment
- Second Language Acquisition Theory
- Modern English grammar
- Technology and Language Teaching
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
For normal Fall applicants, the deadline for receipt of all application materials is January 15. Early applications will be given precedence in funding. Late applications may be accepted on a case-by-case basis. Please contact the EAL program directly if you wish to be considered for Fall admission during the late spring/summer.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Teaching Linguistics View 1086 other Masters in Teaching in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Admission to the TESLMA program will be determined on a case-by-case basis. Admission requires an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or above in relevant fields (e.g. in social sciences, humanities, and education, but especially English and foreign languages). International applicants whose native language is not English need a total TOEFL score of at least 550 pbt, or 79 ibt, or an IELTS 7 (no subject below 6).
- Scans of official transcripts from each academic institution attended. Please send official transcripts to the program address below.
- A two- to three-page statement of purpose. This statement should describe your teaching, leadership, and cross-cultural experiences as well as your academic and career goals.
- The email addresses of two or three referrers for letters of reference.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International20126 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10063 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National20126 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10063 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
In-State11938 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5969 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.