The Medical Device Engineering program offered by the Keck Graduate Institute was created in response to the needs of the medical device industry. Starting in Fall of 2019, the MSMDE program will prepare students for engineering roles in functional areas such as invention, development, and production of medical devices, in specialties such as in-vitro diagnostics, drug delivery, assistive technology, and wearables.As a student, you will have the opportunity to:
- Interact with patients and healthcare providers to gain a true understanding of the clinical setting and user needs.
- Learn and apply industry practices to develop and manufacture viable medical devices.
- Work in teams with industry sponsors to solve real-world problems.
User-centered design involves understanding the needs of patients and healthcare providers. As part of the curriculum, students in the program are placed in a clinical setting where they learn to observe and interact with patients, providers, and conduct user studies.
Industry ExperienceThe MSMDE program leverages the strong industry relationships of the Henry E. Riggs School of Applied Life Sciences to provide authentic experiences and networking opportunities for our students. These include:
- Visiting speakers
- Case-based course work
- Industry sponsored projects
- Alumni network
- Advisory Board connections
Culminating in a capstone experience—the Team Master’s Project—students work in teams with an industry sponsor and faculty support on a medical device project that integrates the curricular elements into a single experience.
Over 40,000 jobs were listed nationally last year in medical device engineering. The MSMDE program will help develop the most requested skills for those positions including:
- Product development
- Project management
- Quality assurance/quality control
- Data analysis
- Product manager
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Courses in the program are delivered in small section sizes with the aim of delivering realistic and transferable experiences for industry careers.
- In support of their courses, students have access to the Medical and Assistive Device (MAD) Lab for collaborating, designing, prototyping, and showcasing their work including workstations for CAD design, 3D printing, electronics testing, and more.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering Human Medicine General Engineering & Technology View 905 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in United States
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Personal Statement
- Letter of Recommendation
- Standardized Test Scores
- English Language Proficiency
- $75 non-refundable application fee
International40990 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 40990 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National40990 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 40990 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.