The Vocal Performance - Music Theatre MM program from New York University will provide you with a solid foundation of healthy vocal technique on which you can build a career in whatever area of voice performance you choose to pursue.
You'll take courses in areas such as script analysis and dramaturgical process, music criticism, film music, music therapy, and music theatre history, as well as specialization credits in private voice instruction, vocal coaching, music theatre workshops, and acting and guided electives, such as audition skills and theatre dance.
Every semester a sequence of music theatre workshops focuses on song analysis, character analysis, music theatre styles, and vocal production.
- You will achieve a level of performance excellence that makes it possible for you to enter the professional field of vocal performance. You'll craft a technical foundation in vocal production, learn how to demonstrate a respect for the value of the text – the words that are sung as well as the sounds that are made – along with a demonstrable understanding that the best singing is an amalgamation of a freely produced sound and a personal need to communicate.
- You will perform a graduate recital as your terminal degree experience. In addition, you will make your New York City debut in your final semester when you are presented to agents, casting directors, directors, and producers in our Graduation Showcase, a revue designed to feature the work of each student and help you make your first professional contacts in the industry.
- Music Criticism
- Music Therapy
- Film Music: Historical Aesthetics/Perspectives
- Contemporary Music
- Development of Theatre & Drama
- Image of Women in Theatre
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Musicology Theatre & Dance View 1095 other Masters in Music in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at New York University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Statement of Purpose
- Letters of Recommendation
- Proficiency in English
- Pre-screening Materials
International64640 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2020 USD per credit during 12 months.
National64640 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2020 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.