In this Games for Learning program from New York University we offer several areas of study including game design, game development, game research, and student-customized focus areas under faculty supervision. You’ll graduate with a depth of knowledge about:
- The role of social, emotional, cultural, and cognitive aspects of learning and issues of game design.
- Game design models and developmental practices.
- The value of narrative features of game design.
- Research methods aimed at improving and evaluating the design of games for learning.
Your work with faculty and in the field will enable you to:
- Explain the potential values and limitations of the use of digital games for learning, and for what kinds of learning, what types of learners, in what content domains, and in what settings games have the potential to support learning.
- Discuss the role and function of play in games for learning and, in that context, the contribution of diverse features of games, such as role playing, immersion, narrative, feedback, situated experience, distributed cognition, consequences of failure, etc.
- Apply the social, cognitive, emotional, and cultural dimensions of factors that influence learning in game design, drawing from theories in the learning sciences and cognitive science that are relevant to game design for learning.
- Demonstrate competency in one of the following areas: the technical development of digital games for learning, the learning design of digital games, the methods for research and evaluation of games for learning, or a related area as deemed appropriate by program faculty.
- Demonstrate competency in conducting design-based research to support the development of effective games for learning, including usability research, playtesting, and various approaches to evaluation.
Careers and Outcomes
You’ll be prepared for a career as a:
- Learning game designer
- Game researcher
- Program evaluator
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Foundations of Cognitive Science
- Foundations of the Learning Sciences
- Video Games and Play in Education
- Designing Simulations and Games for Learning
- Narrative, Digital Media and Learning
- Research on Simulations and Games for Learning
- Electives for your Area of Study, by Advisement
- Research in Educational Communications and Technology
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesVideo Games & Multimedia View 36 other Masters in Video Games & Multimedia in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Standardized Test Information – GMAT or GRE (and TOEFL if required);
- Transcripts & Degrees;
- Professional Information;
- EQ endorsements must be submitted online;
- International Student Supplement.
International21540 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10770 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
National21540 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10770 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.