In the Drama Therapy program from New York University students will receive clinical training to use improvisation and theatre techniques to facilitate personal growth and promote health, treating individuals with a range of mental health, cognitive, and developmental disorders. In addition to taking rigorous theoretical course work, you’ll intern throughout New York City with leading professionals in drama therapy.
This degree is ideal for applied improvisation and applied theatre practitioners, theatre professionals, educators, therapists, and those working in the fields of medicine, healthcare, and special education. Your peers will come from diverse cultural and academic backgrounds to study and apprentice with leading professionals in the creative arts therapies.
What will you learn
Throughout your program of study, you will develop your strong commitment to doing good in the world by learning:
- How to identify and describe theories and methods of drama therapy and psychology, and be able to apply these methods in client treatment
- How to research effectively
- How to develop your professional identity as a drama therapist and a future licensed professional in the mental health field
- How to build clinical competency
- Introduction to Drama Therapy
- Drama Therapy for Clinical Populations
- Psychodrama and Sociometry
- Theatre Aesthetics: Therapeutic Theatre
- Projective Techniques in Drama Therapy
- Advanced Theory and Research in Drama Therapy (including thesis preparation)
- Internship in Drama Therapy: Lab
- Internship in Drama Therapy: Lecture
- Ethics in Drama Therapy
- Intro to Arts Based Research
- Developmental Transformations (DvT)
- Advanced Psychodrama & Sociometry (not currently a required course but highly advised)
- Advanced Role Theory/Role Method (not currently a required course but highly advised)
- Abnormal Psychology
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology View 907 other Masters in Psychology in United States
- Statement of Purpose
- Autobiographical Statement
- Letters of Recommendation
- Proficiency in English
- Interview/Audition - The interview and audition will be a full day of group improvisation and individual interviews. Invited applicants should dress comfortably.
International21540 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10770 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National21540 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10770 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.