This Higher Education in Student Affairs program is designed for people who are interested in pursuing a career in student affairs administration at universities, colleges and community colleges. The program focuses on the development of college students and the skills, competencies, aptitude and motivation necessary to be an effective Student Affairs practitioner.
The program places particular emphasis on the importance of working collaboratively within diverse and dynamic organizations in higher education. The program prepares people to work in areas such as residence life, student activities, judicial affairs, admissions, financial aid, academic and personal advisement, international students services and career services. The program will enable graduates to apply student development theories and learning to areas such as policy development, program planning and assessment, and administration in diverse environments.HESA students can choose from two tracks. Both tracks are the same credit hours, contain the same courses and are taught by the same professors but are offered in different formats. Students from both tracks will be expected to complete all requirements of the program including the two practicums.
The Original Track requires students to attend up to three classes per semester on campus. The majority of the courses are offered in the traditional classroom format with a few hybrid/online courses.
The new Executive Track (which is scheduled to be launched in the Summer of 2013) will include all current core courses offered in an online/hybrid format. The members of the executive cohort will meet on campus once per month (on a specified Saturday) and will be required to complete a week long residency program in their first and second summers.
Salem State University's mission is to provide a high quality, student-centered education that prepares a diverse community of learners to contribute responsibly and creatively to a global society, and serve as a resource to advance the region's cultural, social and economic development.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Student Affairs: Theory, Research and Practice
- Theories of College Student Development
- The History of Higher Education
- Administration and Organization in Higher Education
- Research in Student Affairs
- Multicultural Issues in Student Affairs
- Assessment and Evaluation in Student Affairs
- Helping Skills for Student Affairs Professionals I
- Practicum in Student Affairs I
- Helping Skills for Student Affairs Professionals II
- Capstone Seminar in Student Affairs
- Practicum in Student Affairs II
For more information please visit the program website.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Apply early! Our students begin as cohorts, so admissions are stopped for the next academic year once enough qualified applicants are selected.
DisciplinesEducation View 4091 other Masters in Education in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- $50 non-refundable application fee
- Official transcript or transcript evaluation
- Three references. Try to submit both academic and professional references. Have references speak to your ability to do graduate-level work or come from someone with directly supervised you.
- English Proficiency, if applicable for international applicants
- Statement of purpose, addressing
- What factors in your personal and professional history have influenced you in the past and now lead you to seek admission to this program at Salem State?
- What are your long-term professional goals, and how will this program help you meet them?
- Identify one important issue within the field of higher education or student affairs and explain why this issue is important.
- Admissions interview. You will be contacted by the department after your application is complete.
- MEd Higher Education Student Affairs does not require the GRE or MAT.
International10378 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10378 USD per year during 12 months.
National10378 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10378 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State8758 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8758 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Salem
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.