Study Screen Scoring at University of Southern California
Partnered with the University of Southern California School for Cinematic Arts, the Screen Scoring MM program provides student composers the unique opportunity to collaborate with student filmmakers and game designers in creating music for more than 100 annual film, television and game projects. These projects generally are created “in the box” or are scored on USC’s John William Scoring Stage with Thornton student-musicians. Additionally, as part of their course work, student composers record approximately 10 scoring projects with professional musicians and engineers on Hollywood-area scoring stages. The capstone recording session is comprised of 64 professional players and takes place on the Warner Bros. Clint Eastwood Scoring Stage.
Many notable USC Thornton alumni have been honored with Oscar, Golden Globe, Bafta, Emmy, and/or Grammy nominations and awards, including Christophe Beck, Marco Beltrami, James Dooley, James Horner, James Newton Howard, Bear McCreary, David Newman, John Nordstrom, Duncan Thum, and current faculty members Bruce Broughton, Daniel Carlin, Laura Karpman, Garry Schyman, Lawrence Shragge, and Chris Young.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Individual Instruction
- Composition Forum
- Advanced Scoring for Motion Pictures & Television
- Orchestral Scoring
- Advanced Game Scoring & Integration
- History of Film Scoring
- Entrepreneurialism for the Screen Composer
- Recording, Mixing, & Editing Music for the Screen Composer
- Advanced Screen Scoring Technology
- Studio Conducting and Contemporary Score Analysis
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Music Musicology View 1089 other Masters in Music in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A video introduction of yourself seated at your workstation that is 2 to 3 minutes in length.
- Full score manuscripts (with optional sketches) in PDF format of three original compositions
- Audio recordings of your three submitted compositions
- The Video Introduction, Compositions, and Recordings must be submitted online through the “Fall SlideRoom portal” by the December 1st deadline. Any application not complete by December 1 may be removed from consideration.
International60446 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30223 USD per semester during 12 months.
National60446 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30223 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Los Angeles
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.