From the mechanics of space flight to autonomous subsea navigation to the behavior of drones, students of the Ocean Engineering program of Virginia Tech work alongside faculty advisors to enrich and push the boundaries of our field.
Recent graduate project topics include:
- Aerodynamics of a transonic turbine vane
- Bio-inspired trailing edge noise control
- Dynamics and control of a tensegrity system in low-Earth orbit
- Particle-resolving simulations of dune migration
- Simulation of net-zero momentum wakes in stratified fluids
- The two point correlation structure of a cylinder wake
- Visual-inertial navigation of small unmanned aircraft
Faculty and students in the Department of Aerospace and Ocean Engineering are conducting word-class research, and we have the facilities and resources to support them.
Our experimental facilities, which are equipped with advanced instrumentation and high-performance computing resources, include
- Laboratories for experimental aeroacoustics, hydro-elasticity, and hydrodynamics
- Laboratories for marine robotics
- Laboratories for spacecraft design and simulation
- Simulators for plasma and propulsion systems
- Simulators for space systems
- Subsonic, hypersonic, and supersonic wind tunnels
- Vehicle Structures
- Mechanical and Structural Vibrations
- Elastic Stability
- Structural Optimization
- Advanced Ship Structural Analysis
- Submarine Design
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeneral Engineering & Technology Marine Engineering View 68 other Masters in Marine Engineering in United States
- A bachelor’s degree, typically in engineering, mathematics, or physics from an accredited institution.
- Evidence of genuine promise of success in graduate study, such as a good academic record. (A 3.0 GPA or better on a 4.0 scale is strongly recommended.)
- Full admission to the Virginia Tech Graduate School.
- For international applicants, official results from an English proficiency test such as the TOEFL Examination. (A score of 90 or higher is strongly recommended.)
- Official transcripts should be sent to the Graduate School.
- Statement of interest and curriculum vitae should be attached to the online graduate application.
- Submit Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores. (GRE requirement is waived for applicants with significant work experience.)
- Submit three letters of recommendation.
- Submit Immigration Information Form (international applicants only).
International18942 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9471 USD per semester during 12 months.
National18942 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9471 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State9398 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4699 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Blacksburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.