The objectives of the Master in Environmental Management (with concentration in Ecotoxicology and Environmental Health) program at Duke University are:
- A solid foundation in the principles underlying pollutant fate and transport, environmental exposures, and impacts on human and ecological health
- The knowledge and skills to understand the concepts and methodologies used in the fields of toxicology, environmental chemistry, risk assessment and ecology
- Training in state-of-the-art approaches for evaluating specific cases of environmental contamination, and for making management decisions using quantitative tools and approaches
- Oral and written skills to communicate scientific studies and management outcomes to a wide audience, especially at the interface of science, policy and the public
Our program provides students with a strong scientific basis to understand the complex linkages among environmental processes, chemical stressors, and ecological and human health. Students enjoy a small class size and low student-faculty ratio as they gain the knowledge and skills to apply risk assessment frameworks and address pollution-related ecological and human health problems.
Our curriculum is structured to give students a solid foundation in environmental exposures, contaminant chemistry, toxicology, and the effects of contaminants on ecosystems and human health. Core courses introduce students to state-of-the-art molecular and analytical tools used in environmental toxicology, chemistry and epidemiology to help the students understand the mechanisms of toxicity and contaminant fate, which are the foundation of environmental risk assessments.
You can choose from courses across Duke University and at our partner institutions.
Your faculty advisor will help you select a curriculum track and area of specialization based on your interests, experience, and goals.
Ecotoxicology & Environmental Health master students receive in-depth training in:
- Ecological and human risk assessment
- Environmental exposure assessment
- Predicting pollutant fate and transport
- Understanding toxic modes of action
- Environmental epidemiology & health
- Molecular and analytical tools for environmental health research
The Nicholas School’s dedicated Career Center helps our graduates find positions in environmental consulting and risk assessment, and at government agencies such as the Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, public health departments, and nonprofit organizations such as the Environmental Defense Fund.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Environmental Toxicology
- Environmental Health
- Chemical Fate of Organic Compounds
- Aquatic Chemistry
- Mechanisms in Toxicology
- Essentials of Pharmacology & Toxicology
- Water Pollution
- Environmental Transport
- Hazardous/Toxic Waste
- Global Health & Genomics
- Resource and Environmental Economics
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesToxicology Environmental Economics & Policy Environmental Management View 145 other Masters in Environmental Management in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or science from an accredited institution (transcripts required, including an estimated GPA and a grade scale)
- Statement of Purpose
- Three recommendations
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or equivalent—official results
- English Language Testing (TOEFL or IELTS)—official results
- Interview and/or a video introduction
- Nonrefundable application fee of US$75— paid by credit card, or by a check made payable to Duke University
International57900 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28950 USD per semester during 24 months.
National57900 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28950 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Durham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.