The program is based on the assumption that technical competence and specialized training are best employed in combination with knowledge traditionally fostered by the liberal arts and sciences. Through core seminars, an individualized program of study, and the completion of a master’s project, students may explore major issues and synthesize knowledge from several disciplines.
Similar programs have attracted professionals who feel they need further study to investigate complex issues connected with their work or interests. Some teachers and librarians find such a course of study an alternative to graduate work in education or in another single discipline. Others see the program as an improvement over a self-directed study of reading or participation in a series of unrelated courses beyond the baccalaureate degree. By emphasizing the integration of knowledge in different disciplines, the program offers a unique alternative to traditional graduate study.
- Seminar in Quaternary Studies
- Marine Invertebrate Zoology
- Integration of GIS and Remote Sensing Data Analysis in Natural
- Marine Benthic Ecology
- Emerging Science and Technology: Integration Into K-12 Classrooms
- Methods in Epidemiology
- Special Topics in Interdisciplinary Studies
- Responsible Conduct of Research
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSociology Biology Computer Sciences View 880 other Masters in Biology in United States
- An e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org from a faculty member at the University of Maine who has agreed to serve as the primary advisor.
- Two letters of recommendation. Students are strongly encouraged to use the online letter of recommendation feature within the online application or have recommenders send an electronic copy to email@example.com.
- Official college/university transcripts from all institutions attended.
- Application for graduate degree. The online application feature allows applicants to include an essay which presents student’s life experiences as well as objectives and reasons for applying to the program.
- Online application fee of $65.00
International1430 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1430 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National1430 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1430 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
In-State439 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 439 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
The University of Maine helps graduate students fund their education through graduate assistantships, fellowships, scholarships, and student loans. In addition to the resources listed below, check with your academic department for more funding opportunities.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.