Candidates of the French program of The University of Maine take seven to eight courses (21-24 credits) in language, literature, culture and linguistics in the target language, one course in language pedagogy and one course on teaching the exceptional student in English. An oral exam and a professional teaching portfolio which illustrate the candidate’s familiarity with Maine’s teaching standards and his/her readiness to teach a second language in the K-12 classroom are the final requirements for both degrees.
Practicing teachers who are already certified to teach French or Spanish may opt to take additional courses in their target language, or they may resume the study of a second foreign language at the advanced (400 or 500) level in lieu of taking courses leading to certification.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Teaching of Foreign Languages
- French Film Survey
- Seminar in North American French Language
- Seminar in the Theatre
- Seminar in Literature of the Nineteenth Century
- Seminar in the Novel
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Language Studies Languages View 688 other Masters in Languages in United States
- Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree, have successfully completed 24 credit hours (or equivalent) in French, and successfully have passed the Praxis II examinations at a level qualifying them for state teaching certification
- Completed online application
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official transcript of all previous college or university work
- Official test scores
- $65 application fee
- Official English proficiency examination scores are required unless you have received a degree from an English-speaking institution
- Certification of Finances to be submitted at the time of admission
- A copy of your passport or visa to aid in processing I-20 paperwork
International1503 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1503 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
National1503 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1503 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
In-State461 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 461 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.