About the program
The Buddhist Chaplaincy program from University of the West is designed to meet the needs of those who wish to engage in spiritual care and counseling work and to become properly trained and certified professionals.
The program incorporates the requirements of the Association of Professional Chaplains (APC) by offering 72 semester hours covering the nine core educational areas specified by the APC.
This program requires regular attendance on campus for classes, group processes, and other events. It is designed to serve local students and is not a low-residency or online program. Applicants should be prepared for long hours spent on campus and intense interaction with fellow students. Living near or on campus is highly recommended. Although this program can be completed on a part-time basis, full-time attendance is strongly recommended to facilitate the student’s required spiritual formation.
Courses are designed to be taken in a prescribed sequence and not on an ad hoc basis. Full-time students are expected to take four classes, or 12 units, per semester to graduate in the specified three-year time period. Full-time students taking three classes, or 9 units, and part-time students should not expect to graduate in three years.
- Ritual and liturgy
- Comparative religions
- Religious education
- Pastoral care and counseling
- Spiritual formation
- Religious history
- Institutional organization and administration
- Sacred literature
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesReligious Studies & Theology Christian Studies View 671 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in United States
- Application – Complete the UWest online application.
- $100 Application fee – This is non-refundable and may be made by check or credit card. Please make checks out to: University of the West.
- Statement of Purpose – Your original statement of purpose should be 500-600 words (typed, double-spaced), describing your interest in a specific area of study at UWest and your goals beyond achieving an advanced degree.
- Official Transcripts – Copies of transcripts from all universities you’ve attended. Transcripts must be sealed and sent directly from the school(s) to the Enrollment Office.
- Letters of Recommendation
- Diploma – Submit a copy of your most recently earned diploma.
- Official documents
- English Proficiency Verification
- Documentation of Finances
International13290 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13290 USD per year during 36 months.
National13290 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13290 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Rosemead
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.