At the heart of the Historical Performance program of The Juilliard School is a distinguished faculty that includes some of today’s most respected performers and scholars in the field. The department also enjoys annual visits from such esteemed guest artists as William Christie, Jordi Savall, and Richard Egarr. There are ample opportunities to perform as a member of Juilliard415, the school’s primary period-instrument ensemble, not only in New York, but also on tour, nationally and internationally.
Length of Program
The minimum residency to complete the program is two years. Extensions to the normal residency are only granted for valid reasons and may affect financial aid eligibility.
The minimum number of credits required to complete the degree is 54 (56 in Jazz Studies; 72 in Collaborative Piano; 62 in Historical Performance). The distribution of those credits by major appears in each program.
A graduation recital is required of all Voice and instrumental majors. In place of a recital, Composition and Conducting majors must demonstrate artistic accomplishment equivalent to that required for the recital. That equivalency will be determined by the respective departmental faculties.
- Historical Performance Studio Class
- Historical Performance Chamber Music
- History and Literature of 17th- and 18th- Century Music
- Historical Performance Symposium
- Baroque Music Theory
- Continuo Skills in Context
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Performance View 216 other Masters in Music Performance in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A bachelor's degree or its equivalent by the time you enroll
- Prior artistic training
- English language fluency
- Online application
- An artistic resume must be uploaded as part of the online application. The resume should be 1-2 pages
- Juilliard’s Admissions Committee uses your essay(s) to learn more about you as an individual and gain a sense of who you are beyond your application, transcript, and audition
- A one-minute video uploaded to the application in which you record yourself giving the following information: your name, your major (i.e. flute, composition, organ). Voice applicants: please include your voice type, your current music teacher, your current school and grade level and one fact that you want the faculty to know about you that they cannot learn from your application materials
- One recommendation letter
- Your major is required to submit prescreening recordings within the online application by the appropriate deadline.
International49260 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 49260 USD per year during 24 months.
National49260 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 49260 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.