The program combines in-depth study of primary theoretical perspectives with practical fieldwork, preparing you to support the complex needs of children and their families.
Why pursue a Master of Arts degree in Child Development from Sarah Lawrence College?
- In close consultation with faculty mentors, you will develop your own plan of study individualized to your academic interests and long-term career goals
- You’ll have access to on-campus resources including the Early Childhood Center, one of the country’s first laboratory schools, and the Child Development Institute
- We have been pioneers in the field of Child Development for almost 50 years and are one of the few institutions in the country to focus on play therapy
- You will be immersed in child development theory through small seminar classes
- This degree prepares you to work directly with infants, children and their families in various settings, such as in early intervention or play therapy contexts, for teaching child development at an intermediate level, or for pursuing doctoral study in clinical psychology
- Our dual degree MA/MSW option with NYU Silver School for Social Work provides you with the unique opportunity to earn two complimentary degrees, preparing you to meet the unique needs of children and their families as a social worker
- Theories of Development
- Moral Development
- The Power and Meanings of Play in Children’s Lives
- Speaking the Unspeakable: Trauma, Emotion, Cognition, and Language
- Neurodiversity and Clinical Psychology
- Clinical Perspectives: Challenges to Child and Adolescent Development
- Puzzling Over People: Social Reasoning in Childhood and Adolescence
- 24 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology Childhood Studies View 48 other Masters in Childhood Studies in United States
- Applicants must have received a Bachelor of Arts or equivalent degree from an accredited college or university. Previous college work is expected to be at 3.0 or higher and should reflect advanced course study.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Two letters of recommendation
- Personal Statement
- Academic Writing Sample
- TOEFL Results (for International Applicants)
- Application fee
International32630 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32630 USD per year during 24 months.
National32630 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32630 USD per year during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.