The Creative Writing and Writing for the Performing Arts program at the University of California, Riverside consists of workshops in a chosen genre, culminating in a final project (the master's thesis or manuscript) that showcases the writer's cultivated talents in the form of a poetry collection, novel, short story collection, memoir, essay collection, screenplay, or full-length play.
The MFA requires students to major in one genre, but encourages them to explore other genres as well, allowing for creative movement within disciplines. For example, structure and focus in screenwriting and playwriting can be applied to fiction and nonfiction and lyricism and metaphor in poetry can enhance description and dialogue in the other genres.
- Low Residency Seminar in Literature,theatre, and Film 4 to 6
- Low Residency Genre Workshop
- Advanced Play Analysis
- The Writer’s Life: Literary Strategies and Structures
- Literature and Improvisation: the Intersection of Culture and Performance
- Acting For Writers
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
If applying after the January 5 deadline, please first email the program coordinator to see if openings are available.
DisciplinesCreative Writing Liberal Arts View 385 other Masters in Creative Writing in United States
- You must demonstrate significant professional skill in the genre to which you are applying. Your writing sample should consist of one of the following: 10-15 pages of poetry, a maximum of 25 pages of nonfiction, a maximum of 20 pages or 5000 words of fiction, the first act or a maximum of 25 pages of a screenplay or play, include your writing sample in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the Statement of Purpose/Personal History Statement page in your Graduate Division application.
- Three letters of recommendation
- A personal history statement
- A statement of purpose and project proposal
- TOEFL or IELTS scores
- The GRE is not required.
International17696 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8848 USD per semester during 24 months.
National17696 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8848 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State7628 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3814 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Riverside
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.