Students of the Spirituality program of Oblate School of Theology will study various classical and contemporary Christian spiritual and mystical traditions, movements, and figures. Graduates will be equipped to better understand their own spiritual journey and prepared to be valuable resources for spirituality and renewal centers, parish and retreat work, as well as other spirituality-related faith formation and educational programs in a culturally diverse and globalized world. Students will also be encouraged to participate in cohort integration groups. This program is available online or face-to-face.
The goal of the Master of Arts in Spirituality is to provide students with an in-depth understanding of Christian spirituality with an emphasis on significant classical and contemporary spiritual and mystical traditions.
Upon successful completion of the program students will be able…
- To present a summary overview of major historical periods within the history of Christian spirituality and mysticism by identifying relevant movements, schools of spirituality, and major figures.
- To demonstrate proficiency in at least one classical school of spirituality and one contemporary school of spirituality.
- To demonstrate a basic competency in the ministry of spiritual direction and accompaniment.
- To evaluate instances of Christian religious experience and dynamics of interior transformation as understood within the Christian spiritual tradition.
- To identify and discuss important classical and contemporary literature in the field of spirituality.
- To articulate the importance of spirituality and lived experience within religious traditions.
- To demonstrate a basic competency in a multi-disciplinary approach to the study of Christian spirituality.
- To integrate one’s personal spirituality with fundamental principles and insights from the Christian spiritual tradition.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- An Overview of the History of Christian Spirituality
- Classical Christian Writers
- Reading Religious Experience and the Discernment of Spirits
- Biblical Foundations of Spirituality
- Fundamental Principles of Spiritual Direction
- Integration of Psychology and Spirituality
- 24 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesReligious Studies & Theology Christian Studies View 592 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in United States
- This program is designed for individuals who are interested in pursuing sustained academic study within the discipline of Christian spirituality.
- Students must have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution.
- Completion of the GRE will be required to ensure that the student has the aptitude for graduate studies. The GRE requirement is waived for students who already have a master’s degree.
- Prerequisites include the completion of 9 hours of undergraduate theology and 9 hours of undergraduate philosophy.
- Applicants must submit three letters of reference indicating that the applicant has the requisite qualities necessary to complete the degree.
International720 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 720 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National720 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 720 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.