The Nursing Leadership program of The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston prepares graduates to be nurse leaders in highly complex and dynamic healthcare settings.
MSN graduates will have the knowledge and skills necessary to apply evidenced-based management principles to achieve high quality clinical outcomes in complex and changing healthcare environments. By mastering the precepts of organizational efficiency and effectiveness, graduates will be poised to contribute to the advancement of nursing practice and improvement of our nation’s healthcare delivery system.
The program is dynamic and offers courses both online and on campus. This blended format enhances the overall student experience by balancing the convenience of online courses with the personal and professional benefits of in-class learning and networking with other emerging nurse leaders. In-class experiences also provide opportunity to dialogue with nationally renowned nurse leaders. The length of time spent on campus is typically two (2) days per month. Schedules for on-campus classes are provided well in advance to give working professionals adequate time to adjust personal and professional responsibilities to attend class. Three (3) courses and the capstone preceptorship provide flexible practice immersion experiences with parallel application of classroom content.
Graduates of the advanced practice degrees are eligible to take national certification exams and eligible for licensure as an Advanced Practice Nurse in Texas. Requirements for other states vary and graduates should check individual state requirements prior to applying for an advanced practice status or license.
The MSN program is grounded in standards of practice for nursing leadership and administration and essential nurse manager knowledge, skills, and attitudes. This curriculum fully meets national quality standards and guidelines for graduate education in nursing leadership and administration. Leadership theory, evidence-based management, business concepts, finance, and advanced knowledge of nursing and healthcare management are included in this program of study.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Transforming Healthcare through Nursing Leadership
- Project Management Foundations
- Preparation of Scholarship Skills in Advanced Nursing Practice
- Nursing Research and Epidemiology for Evidence-Based Practice
- Organizational Development: Creating Cultures of Excellence
- Healthcare Financial Management
- 42 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesNursing View 738 other Masters in Nursing in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A completed online application
- $60.00 non-refundable application fee
- Official transcript from each post-secondary institution attended
- A Baccalaureate degree in nursing earned from an accredited program. Applicants must have a grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- A completed basic statistics course.
- Three (3) satisfactory academic/professional references. Supply individual references with an applicant letter of reference form (pdf)
- A course-by-course evaluation of international credentials by Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) for individuals with degrees/courses from outside the US
- A professional curriculum vitae or resume
- An interview may be required of qualified applicants. All interviews are by invitation
- Writing samples may be required at the time of an interview
International13428 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6714 USD per semester during 42 months.
National13428 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6714 USD per semester during 42 months.
In-State3792 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1896 USD per semester during 42 months.
Living costs for Houston
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.