The core studio sequence begins with direct, perceptually-based methods and progresses to advanced synthetic modes of pictorial construction.
The Painting Concentration at New York Academy of Art immerses students in the variety of languages in which the human form is represented in oil. Direct painting addresses opaque perceptual description; indirect painting addresses mixing of color through layering; and second-year outcomes include integrating disparate sources and multiple figures into coherent compositions. Self-directed work is regularly critiqued by renowned visiting artists and faculty in the context of a diverse contemporary discourse.
Painting Concentration Core Outcomes
- ability to use a variety of pictorial languages and methodologies
- understanding of direct painting application
- understanding of indirect painting application
- grasp of synthetic compositional and pictorial construction
- knowledge of historical and contemporary painting approaches
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Painting I: Direct Painting Intensive
- Artistic Anatomy I: Structural Anatomy
- Figure Drawing I Intensive
- Art & Culture I: 1860-1960 The Birth of Modernism and Its Aftermath
- History & Theory of Composition
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts View 558 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants to the MFA are expected to obtain proficiency in Art History prior to entering the program.
- For those with less than two semesters (less than two classes) of undergraduate level art history, we require a reading and writing assignment found here.
- This will help prepare you for entering the MFA program.
International39716 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 39716 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National39716 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 39716 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.