At Jazz Arts from Manhattan School of Music, the programs of study for majors in the Jazz Arts are designed to develop skilled performers, composers, arrangers, and jazz educators in preparation for careers in jazz music.
Systematic and rigorous conservatory training, combined with a myriad of performance and networking opportunities in New York City, make this program one of the richest of its kind for young jazz musicians.
- Alto Saxophone
- Baritone Saxophone
- Bass Trombone
- Composition (MM only)
- Double Bass
- Drum Set
- Electric Bass
- Tenor Saxophone
- Tenor Trombone
- Voice (MM & DMA only)
Jazz composition is offered for graduate applicants who wish to pursue a Master of Music degree. Students who major in jazz composition at Manhattan School of Music are presented with several unique and special opportunities to develop their art. These include regularly scheduled composers’ reading sessions each semester for large and small ensembles; two Jazz Philharmonic reading sessions with full studio orchestra (symphony orchestra & jazz big band; sessions are recorded for faculty review and study); student commissions with performance and monetary awards, performance of compositions at Jazz at Lincoln Center concerts, quarterly jazz composers’ concerts for chamber and jazz orchestra ensembles; and open access to two computer-based electronic music studios.
Classes are offered in studio synthesis techniques, composing and arranging for MIDI synthesizer, arranging for jazz composers, advanced studio recording, film scoring classes, songwriting classes.
Jazz voice is offered for graduate applicants who wish to pursue a Master of Music degree. The jazz voice program at Manhattan School of Music is designed to prepare each vocalist to be an exceptional performer who is able to function in today’s business of music. The program is spearheaded by our internationally reknown faculty Theo Bleckmann and Kate McGarry. Here are some of the highlights of the program:
- Vocalists are part of our unique performance track, combining vocalists and instrumentalists
- Small combo setting allows for individual attention
- Improvisation classes mix voice, composition, and instrumental students in an ensemble setting
- There are performance opportunities with big bands, as well as Jazz Philharmonic orchestra (symphony orchestra with jazz instrumentalists)
- Jazz Styles and Analysis
- Jazz Pedagogy
- Advanced Jazz Improvisation
- Masters of Jazz Seminar
- Jazz Performance Ensembles
- Jazz Musician as Educator
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Late applications are accepted on a case-by-case basis depending upon the program and various circumstances.
DisciplinesMusic Musicology View 510 other Masters in Musicology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- If your first language is not English, you will be required to take our in-house English Assessment during audition week
- We recommend that you upload unofficial transcripts and proof of degree(s) to the online application for the initial phase of the admission process. You must submit your transcripts in the original language and in English.
- All applicants who have completed their online application and passed prescreening (if applicable) must audition in order to be admitted to MSM.
- If you are offered admission to MSM, you will receive details on how to apply for a student visa with your acceptance. You will be required to apply for the SEVIS Form I-20.
International51500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 51500 USD per year during 24 months.
National51500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 51500 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.