The three-year Theatre - Lighting Design program at Illinois State University is an intensive blend of theory and practice. Students can expect to design up to six fully produced shows during their MFA studies. They collaborate alongside a team of creative colleagues and foster working relationships which serve as the foundation for future internships and professional designs.
Illinois State provides unique teaching opportunities and training alongside a comprehensive curriculum. It provokes intellectual curiosity and demands articulate communication of intangible design solutions. The program fuses theatrical design theory with a fresh perspective on contemporary psychological and physiological lighting science.
Studying alongside professional designers and directors, students will leave this program with extensive portfolios and introspective comprehension. They will be prepared for a variety of professions within the field of lighting design.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Students participate in a graduate Lighting Design seminar every fall semester with intensive studies in conceptual development, digital media techniques, human physiological and psychological factors of lighting, architectural lighting theory, and comprehensive studies in theater and dance lighting design.
- Students also receive training in computer drafting, lighting software, rendering (both in traditional media and digital imaging), technology, research and portfolio development.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesTheatre & Dance View 280 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United States
A student applying to a master's program must:
- have earned a four-year bachelor's degree or its equivalent from a college or university that is accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting association, or do so within one academic year
- have a minimum 2.8 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) for the last 60 hours of undergraduate work
- present official transcripts from each college or university other than Illinois State at which graduate, undergraduate, or non-degree credit was earned.
International17651 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17651 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National17651 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17651 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
In-State9676 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9676 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.