The Theatre - Directing program at Illinois State University accepts a select group of advanced students who have demonstrated the potential to succeed in long-term careers as professional directors.
We nurture the emergence of a unique and personal aesthetic for each director, while at the same time fostering an appreciation for the skills and technique required to achieve sustainable success in the profession. Accepted candidates will demonstrate curiosity about their world and the capacity to lead with empathy.
The goals of the program challenge students to:
- Develop an individualized aesthetic that speaks to today's world
- Communicate effectively with performers
- Collaborate openly and creatively with a design team
- Analyze plays from multiple genres
- Embrace poetic language and rhetorical device in classical plays
- Master staging techniques for multiple space configurations
- Work with professional rigor
More informationVisit official programme website
This 36 hour degree program requires:
- completion of the requirements outlined above
- The student must have either earned credit for a minimum of two years of a foreign language at the college level, or must demonstrate a reading knowledge of a foreign language. This latter requirement is met by passing an examination administered by the appropriate foreign language faculty or a reading language proficiency test.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesTheatre & Dance View 280 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United States
To be eligible for an assistantship a student must, generally,
- be admitted unconditionally as a degree-seeking student into a graduate academic program, or have a minimum of 120 undergraduate hours if in an integrated degree program
- be in good-standing
- be enrolled full-time (typically at least 9 credit hours during the fall or spring semesters, or at least 6 hours during the summer session).
International17651 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17651 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National17651 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17651 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
In-State9676 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9676 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.