The School of Education, Health and Human Performance, content methodologists across campus, and PK-12 educators in the FSU Professional Development Schools Partnership collaborate to prepare teacher candidates with the knowledge and skills for curriculum and planning, learners and the learning environment, teaching, professional self-renewal, and engagement across the school community that distingushes high quality teachers.
In addition to preparing graduates to meet West Virginia licensure requirements and obtain certification in secondary content areas and comprehensive fields, the Master of Arts in Teaching program provides candidates with an interdisciplinary and integrated curriculum, intensive field experiences and clinical practice, and ongoing assessment that increases their employability.
The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) degree at Fairmont State University is an alternative and accelerated means for college graduates with degrees in liberal arts, fine arts, and professional fields to attain teacher licensure. Designed for both recent graduates who want to enhance their employability and for professionals with a Bachelors degree who are seeking to change careers, the MAT enables candidates to enter the classroom prepared to teach and to qualify for the higher salary level for teachers with a Masters. The program provides the professional education courses and clinical experiences - including student teaching - necessary to prepare candidates for teaching in a specific content area in grades PreK-Adult, 5-Adult, or 9-Adult (see Specializations for a list of all certification options). The MAT program does not currently offer licensure in Elementary Education or Special Education; however an endorsement in Special Education may be added after the initial license in a content area is earned.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Foundations of American Education
- Research in Education
- Advanced Studies in Human Growth and Development
- Advanced Educational Psychology
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesTeaching View 486 other Masters in Teaching in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Request a transcript analysis from the SoEHHP Office of Certification to evaluate courses from the undergraduate degree against the requirements for licensure in the secondary content specialization areas offered through Fairmont State.
- Satisfactorily completed 75% of the required content credit hours for their specialization prior to admissions to Graduate Studies. (Candidates needing to complete content courses may be admitted as a non-degree student to enroll in content courses, and apply to the MAT program upon completion of the pre-requisite course conditions.)
- Provided a report of a passing score on the Praxis II content test for admission to Graduate Studies.
International7510 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3755 USD per semester during 12 months.
National7510 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3755 USD per semester during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.