A critical component of administering the MS program in Laboratory Medicine and Biomedical Science at the University of Utah is the evaluation of its effectiveness in meeting program objectives. Outcomes and objectives are assessed throughout the graduate program, in successful completion of didactic coursework, projects, preliminary exams, thesis research, and thesis defense. The objectives of the program are to:
- Increase the student’s technical competence in the area of study.
- Develop an approach to research procedures and understand the importance of properly defining research problems.
- Provide a working background in scientific writing and data management.
- Increase the student’s awareness and knowledge of new laboratory-related technologies.
- Prepare the student for continuation into an appropriate PhD program or medical school, if desired.
- Organization and presentation of scientific information to peers and faculty members.
- Review and interpretation of scientific literature.
- Improvement of technical writing skills.
Possible Career Areas With a Degree in Medical Laboratory ScienceClinical Analysis
- Drug testing
- Molecular diagnostics
- Health radiation science
- Crime laboratory/forensics
- Environmental health
- Red Cross
- Occupational health
- Research and development
- Quality assurance
- Medical writing/illustration
- Academic administrator
- Program director
- Health care administration
- Laboratory director
- Hospital administrator
- Health promotion
- Quality assurance
- Immune systems
- Cell biology
- Cancer research
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Graduate Seminar
- Techniques in Biochemical Analysis
- Basic Immunology
- Laboratory Management
- Laboratory Correlation
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiomedicine View 216 other Masters in Biomedicine in United States
- BS degree with certification in medical laboratory science or a BS degree in biological, chemical, or physical sciences; prerequisites in medical laboratory science courses may be required.
- Two to three years of clinical laboratory experience or research experience is recommended.
- Minimum grade point average of 3.0 is expected.
- International applicants must score at least 550 on the TOEFL exam.
- International applicants must take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE).
International18860 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9430 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National18860 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9430 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
In-State6110 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3055 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.