Our students are motivated by their deep concern for the state of Earth and their determination to find healing solutions for the future. Students earning an MA in Ecology, Spirituality and Religion will be at the forefront of an interdisciplinary field that has grown rapidly over the past decade. Graduates will be well prepared to engage environmental issues in multiple spheres, or to pursue doctoral-level study.
Our online Ecology, Spirituality, and Religion program at California Institute of Integral Studies requires 36 units of coursework. The curriculum progression includes two introductory courses; coursework in religion, philosophy, spirituality, and ecological issues; a fieldwork practicum; electives; and a capstone experience.
- Develop familiarity with one (or more) religious tradition(s).
- Gain facility with some approaches to the philosophy of religion.
- Acquire thorough knowledge of at least one ecological issue.
- Understand and navigate the epistemological challenges in studying religion and ecology together.
- Integrate their insights from their coursework into a coherent final capstone experience.
- Christianity and Ecology
- Buddhism and Ecology
- History of Western World Views
- Philosophy and Ecology
- Whitehead's Philosophy
- Science, Ecology and Contested Knowledge(s)
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- 3rd application deadline: pending program space availability (after the Feb 15th priority deadline).
DisciplinesReligious Studies & Theology Ecology View 149 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in United States
Complete the Online Admissions Application and Submit the Application Fee
Submit Your Supporting Materials
Submit Your Official Transcripts
Minimum GPA: A GPA of 3.0 or higher in previous coursework is required. However, a GPA below 3.0 does not automatically disqualify an applicant and CIIS will consider a prospective student whose GPA is between 2.0 and 3.0. These individuals are required to submit a GPA Statement and are encouraged to contact the Office of Admissions to discuss their options.
International22356 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1242 USD per credit during 24 months.
National22356 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1242 USD per credit during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.