The Art Studio program offered by The University of New Mexico is a terminal degree in studio art. Its primary emphasis is on the creative aspects of an individual’s work. The program requires three years of intensive study and research beyond the bachelor’s degree (48 hours coursework & 12 hours dissertation). Although the formal requirements for the degree are in some respects comparable to doctoral degrees in other fields, the scope and objectives of the MFA are uniquely different. As such, the MFA degree represents strong creative attainment in studio art, an assured grasp of an area of concentration, a sound knowledge of critical and historical artistic thought, and demonstrated expertise in conceiving and executing a significant body of creative work.
The program requires a concentration on the creative aspects of the studio work culminating in a dissertation, which entails planning, installing and documenting a solo exhibition of the student’s own creative work, producing a catalog, and giving an oral public presentation.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Art Practices I
- Art Practices II
- Introduction to Ceramics
- Introduction to Art and Ecology
- Introduction to Photography
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts View 575 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
- Must hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in the United States or its equivalent in another country.
- Generally, applicants must have a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 (B) or its equivalent in their last two undergraduate years and in their major field.
- Must indicate all academic institutions they have previously attended on their applications.
- In most departments, the minimum undergraduate prerequisite is 12 semester hours of upper division course work (300-level courses or higher) in the major field to which the student is applying, or in cognate areas.
International1027 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1027 USD per credit during 24 months.
National1027 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1027 USD per credit during 24 months.
In-State329 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 329 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Albuquerque
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.