The Pan-European Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing program from Cedar Crest College, a low-residency program (48 credits), enables students to develop and refine their ability to produce publishable-quality works of creative literature. The program requires three residencies (15 days each) and four distance-learning mentorships. Students must also produce a book-length creative thesis and an accompanying critical essay. With a focus on the power of locale to inspire literature and other arts, the MFA in Creative Writing curriculum emphasizes craft-based learning through residency workshops and seminars, followed by one-on-one distance-learning mentorships. The program offers study in three genres—fiction, poetry, or non-fiction—as well as dual genre study in any two. Students must apply and be admitted to a specific genre, or to two genres in the case of a dual-focus degree.
Program Goals and Learning ObjectivesThe goals of the MFA in Creative Writing are to enable students to:
- Develop and refine their ability to craft works of creative literature.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the breadth of voice and aesthetic in their chosen literary genres and in other genres.
- Recognize the value of locale in inspiring the creative craft and in shaping works of literature.
- Critique works of creative writing, including their own and of others, for artistically effective techniques.
- Generate a sense of career goals in creative writing that is aware of ongoing and new professional opportunities in writing, publishing, and teaching and the strategies needed to obtain them.
- Produce a publishable-quality manuscript in one or more genres of creative writing.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Writing Mentorship: Fiction, Poetry, or Non-Fiction
- Creative Thesis
- Critical Essay
- Craft Seminar: Cross-Genre
- Graduating Residency
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesCreative Writing Liberal Arts View 343 other Masters in Creative Writing in United States
To apply as an international student:
Complete your free application online
- Official secondary school transcripts
- Official university transcripts, if appropriate
- Original score reports for the TOEFL, SAT or ACT, when appropriate
- Statement of financial support
- Personal essay in English
- Two letters of recommendation from a teacher or academic counselor in English or accompanied by a certified English translation
International18360 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 765 USD per credit during 24 months.
National18360 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 765 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Allentown
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.