About this Degree
Candidates completing the Special Education (Post Baccleaureate) program at James Madison University are prepared to serve as teachers of individuals with disabilities in a variety of educational placements. There are two programs of study for students wishing to pursue an M.A.T. in Special Education. The first (the fifth-year program) is a continuation of the undergraduate, pre-professional program in Special Education-General Curriculum K-12 and Special Education-Early Childhood (birth-age 5).
The second (initial licensure program) is designed for individuals who already hold a bachelor's degree and are interested in pursuing initial licensure to teach Special Education-General Curriculum K-12 or Special Education-Early Childhood (birth-age 5).
- Human Growth and Development Birth through Adolescence
- Foundations of Education
- Foundations of Exceptional Education
- Teaching Mathematics in Elementary and Middle Grades
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesEducation Special Education View 4331 other Masters in Education in United States
- Professional resume
- Two-to-three page written statement
- Two Letters of Recommendation (one from an individual who can speak of your potential as a graduate student and another who can comment on your professional dispositions.)
- Teacher candidates must also apply for, and be admitted toTeacher Education at JMU.
- Pass Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA) if not a licensed teacher
- Pass Praxis I math or submit SAT/ACT scores that would waive Praxis I math
International17760 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1184 USD per credit during 24 months.
National17760 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1184 USD per credit during 24 months.
In-State6990 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 466 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Harrisonburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.