All History students at Washington State University conduct independent research leading to a written thesis, with the objective of making a contribution to the body of academic knowledge in History. Research will be focused on a specific Primary Field, which is embedded in a broader General Field that gives a geographical, chronological, and historiographical framework for the research.
The program will culminate with a final oral examination. The strong research emphasis and thesis experience prepare interested students for doctoral programs and careers in research and teaching. Financial aid in the form of an assistantship is available for dedicated, quality full-time MA students.
Students receiving a Masters in History can go on to work with museums and curation as well as teach in a secondary education setting and work as a research historian at both private and governmental organizations.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
All graduates will be able to:
- Student’s mastery of the main methodologies and historical arguments in the primary fields of study.
- Student’s familiarity with the major trends in historiography and the methodological innovations associated with changes in historiographical theory.
- Student’s ability to apply appropriate theories and methods to the major field through independent research projects.
- Student’s demonstrated mastery of historical exposition.
- Student’s skills associated with the presentation of historical research within the professional apparatus of the discipline, and communication skills for diverse professional purposes.
- Student’s success in the production of a successful and nationally commensurate master’s thesis or dissertation by defining a viable research project and conducting research according to nationally recognized professional standards.
- Student’s skills associated with the teaching of history at the college level.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Fall January 10
DisciplinesHistory Ancient History Modern History View 317 other Masters in Modern History in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Washington State University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Must complete a Language Background Form (competency in a foreign language desired, but not required). Also must complete a Preferred Fields of Study Form (both Language and PFS forms are available for download on the Department of History’s website).
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International6369 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6369 USD per year during 12 months.
National6369 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6369 USD per year during 12 months.
The tuition fee may vary depending on the location of your study program.
Living costs for Pullman
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.