The Master of Science in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) at Mercy College New York may lead to initial or professional certification.
Track I candidates (who are seeking their first teaching certificate) must complete the 15-week New York State required student teaching experience. Track II candidates (who have a NYS teaching certificate in another content area) must complete 20 days of clinical practice experience within an ESL Pre-K–12 school environment.
By the end of this program, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate a solid content knowledge base that enables them to deliver effective educational and professional services based on current research, theory and practice
- Employ multiple pedagogical and professional strategies and tools to enable them to be effective practitioners in educational settings and deliver services that promote students’ intellectual, social, and emotional development
- Understand the diverse cultural, linguistic, learning, and social strengths and needs of all populations, and incorporate and demonstrate sensitivity to the richness of diverse cultures when providing educational and other school services
- Employ technology to deliver information, instruction, and professional services to all members of the school community
- Reflect on professional practice to make educational decisions and enhance student learning
- Demonstrate positive dispositions that enable them to work as effective educators, citizens, and practitioners within the school and broader community
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Education in Today's Schools
- Cltrl Prspctvs Tchng Lrng Prcs
- Tchng English as 2nd Lang
- Ed Evl/Assmt ECldhd-Adol&Dsabl
- Aprchs Lit: EChldhd-Adolescenc
- Thry & Prctc Blngl Ed
- Lngstcs & Lang Dvlpmnt
- Teach Writing/Writing Process
- Thry/Prac 2nd Lng Tch Std Disb
- Mdrn Eng Strct/Tch Eng 2nd Lg
- Mth/Mtrls Tch Eng 2nd Lg PK-12
- Student Teaching Experience
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Teaching View 938 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
- Letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- Test scores
- Additional transcripts from other colleges or universities
International33372 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 927 USD per credit during 12 months.
National33372 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 927 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.