Welcome to the Human Genetics and Genetic Counseling Program at Thomas Jefferson University. Our program is a 19-month Master’s level experience grounded in basic science and diversified through psychosocial education and varied clinical and research opportunities.
The National Society of Genetic Counselors (2005) defines genetic counseling as the process of helping people understand and adapt to the medical, psychological and familial implications of genetic contributions to disease. This process integrates:
- Interpretation of family and medical histories to assess the chance of disease occurrence or recurrence.
- Education about inheritance, testing, management, prevention, resources and research.
- Counseling to promote informed choices and adaptation to the risk or condition.
Genetic counseling is a rapidly expanding and diversifying profession that offers opportunities for practice in a wide variety of settings, such as hospitals/clinics, academia, laboratories, government agencies, public health, consulting and advocacy. Clinical practice areas encompass many specialties including prenatal, pediatrics, cardiology, neurology, metabolic disorders, infertility, cancer, etc. As a profession that blends scientific information with clinical, ethical, psychological and legal implications, genetic counselors have a uniquely satisfying and rewarding career that is in high demand.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Genetics Expertise and Analysis
- Interpersonal, Psychosocial and Counseling Skills
- Professional Development & Practice
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHuman Medicine Counselling Genetics View 906 other Masters in Counselling in United States
- Personal Statement
- Recommendation Letters
- The application fee is $50.00 and needs to be submitted by credit card (Visa or Mastercard only) upon submission of the application. The fee is non-refundable.
International33300 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33300 USD per year during 24 months.
National33300 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33300 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Philadelphia
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.