At the University of Wisconsin Madison, the Mead Witter School of Music enriches students' educational experience by hosting guest artists and scholars for master classes, recitals, colloquia, seminars, and festivals. Mead Witter School of Music organizations and ensembles perform more than 350 recitals and concerts every year, making a significant contribution to the cultural life of the university and the wider Madison community.
The master of Music Education program is suited to those who wish to emphasize music content in advanced study of education. Those who wish to explore music education within the context of education at large should consider the curriculum and instruction M.S. program in the School of Education. A double master's degree with the School of Library and Information Studies is also offered.
Applicants to the master's program in music education are strongly encouraged to contact the music education faculty to schedule an interview and visit to the school. A cumulative GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale, calculated on the last 60 credit hours) is necessary for full admission. Refer to the Admissions tab for details on admission requirements.
The M.M.–music education degree offers the opportunity for advanced study in the field of musical education. Upon enrollment in the program, one of the music education faculty members acts as advisor for the student. This is usually the major professor, who the faculty determine based upon a student's particular interests. The examination committee for comprehensive examinations in the second year is comprised of the major professor along with two other faculty members.
- Communicates clearly in multiple modes, including written and verbal, a well-developed foundational understanding, scholarly and practically, of the field of music education as it currently exists.
- Demonstrates understanding of music education from multiple perspectives, including but not limited to social, cultural, historical and musical perspectives.
- Draws upon extensive understandings of music learning and teaching as socially situated and constructed in multiple ways, honoring human difference as a rich source of information and demonstrates this in coursework and final projects.
- Understands and applies principles of ethical and professional conduct.
- Respects colleagues and values contributions of others in both individual and collaborative endeavors.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Seminar in Music Education
- Past Perspectives on Music Education
- Current Issues in Music Education
- Historical Performance Practices
- Survey of Opera
- Seminar in Musicology
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Music View 3549 other Masters in Education in United States
- Applicants should have a bachelor's degree in music or equivalent foundational course work as required by each area of study
- An undergraduate GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale, calculated on the last 60 credit hours) is necessary for full admission. M.M. applicants in music education should have an undergraduate degree in music education and at least two years of music teaching experience—interested students are encouraged to contact the music education faculty prior to application
- The M.M.–music education program involves substantial academic work and requires excellent reading, writing, and speaking skills. Therefore, all international students are required to submit a TOEFL score
International25336 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 25336 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National25336 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 25336 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
In-State12009 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12009 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.