Students of the Dairy Science program at the University of Wisconsin Madison are offered a challenging research and educational opportunity in well-equipped laboratories with modern instrumentation. Students in dairy cattle nutrition may work in collaboration with laboratories of the US Dairy Forage Research Center as well as those of the Dairy Science Department. Dairy cattle at four locations are maintained by the department for both intensive and extensive experimental work.
Research is directed toward gaining greater understanding of the biology of dairy species with emphasis on dairy cattle, and improving usefulness of these species to society by modifying milk composition, improving animal health, assessing environmental impact, and enhancing economic efficiency.
Current research emphases include developing and using molecular markers and genome maps to improve accuracy of selection and speed the rate of genetic improvement; developing and applying statistical methods for estimating genetic merit of individual animals and genetic parameters of populations from performance records; studying digestive and metabolic processes in lactating ruminants to improve production efficiency and health; enhancing utilization of forage nutrients by high-producing cows through modifications of the forage plants, harvesting and storage methods, and supplemental ration ingredients; development of reproduction management programs that optimize facility and profitability of dairy farms; understanding regulation of ovarian function and the regulation of fertility in lactating dairy cows; developing and evaluating milking, feeding, record-keeping, and decision and organizational systems that contribute to profitable dairy enterprises in a changing dairy economy; management factors affecting animal health and well-being.
- Understand and summarize ideas and concepts, into a coherent biological model, research problem(s), and research project that will go beyond the current boundaries of knowledge within Dairy Science.
- Create research and scholarship that makes a substantive contribution to the field of Dairy Science.
- Orally communicate complex ideas in a clear and understandable manner in a scientific, classroom, and/or industry setting.
- Statistically analyze data, summarize the results in tables and/or graphs, and provide valid interpretation of the results.
- Communicate in accurate written English and in the format of a scientific journal, complex ideas and research results.
- Foster ethical and professional conduct and have knowledge in a broad range of areas that are important for their professional development.
- Animal Genetics
- Ruminant or Animal Nutrition
- Animal Physiology
- Dairy Cattle Management
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Animal Sciences View 147 other Masters in Animal Sciences in United States
- Personal statement/reasons for graduate Study
- Three letters of recommendation. Letters should be from faculty who are familiar with your academic abilities and goals. Letters from supervisors that provide a character reference are also acceptable. The letters of recommendation should be submitted with the online application.
- Official transcripts or academic records from each institution attended. Original official transcripts will be required by the Graduate School if a department recommends applicant for admission.
International25548 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25548 USD per year during 24 months.
National25548 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25548 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State12219 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12219 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Madison
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.