Faculty interests are wide-ranging and include symphonic and chamber instrumental composition, interdisciplinary arts, improvisation, and interactive works for digital media.
Students of the Composition program from University of Washington benefit from the opportunity to work with major international artists in a variety of settings ranging from master classes to performances and readings of student works. Recent visiting artists and residencies have included Pascal Gallois, Garth Knox, Margaret Leng Tan, Shulamit Ran, Stuart Dempster, the Seattle Symphony Orchestra, Les Percussions de Strasbourg, the JACK Quartet, The Talea Ensemble, and the Deep Listening Band, among others.
The School of Music and the affiliated Center for Digital Arts and Experimental Media (DXARTS) present numerous concerts of new music annually, making vital contributions to Seattle’s contemporary and experimental music scenes.
- Master’s Thesis
- Music Theory
- Music Electives
- Graduate Admissions Application: must be submitted online by the deadline above, along with the online application fee.
- Three recommendation letters from people familiar with your academic and/or professional work can be arranged for electronically within this application: this is our preferred method.
- Unofficial transcripts from ALL previously attended colleges or universities.
- Statement of Purpose: Explain how graduate study in this particular program will contribute to your pursuing your professional and/or personal goals.
- A portfolio of scores and recordings. Please upload up to 4 scores and recordings (recordings only for electronic works) of recent representative works.
International31530 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31530 USD per year during 12 months.
National31530 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31530 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State18057 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18057 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Seattle
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.