- Renowned Visual Communication Design faculty represent the diversity of contemporary design practice, research, and pedagogy with thriving practices both self-initiated and client-associated, physical and virtual, and individual and collaborative. Students are presented with a rich array of tools and ideas and work with faculty to broaden and deepen their understanding of the field, acquire new skills and approaches, and develop an innovative and mature body of work. Faculty guide students in self-initiated work that explores issues of personal interest and cultural/social significance.
- Graduate students begin their coursework with critique seminars designed to encourage experimentation with new methodologies to further develop their individual work and exploration. Subsequent semesters are less structured—allowing students to work with individual advisors, generate individualized content, and experiment with other related disciplines—eventually culminating in fully realized theses. Students take part in advanced study of the history and interpretation of visual communication design through curricula that explore how the discipline has been influenced by, and in turn influences, cultural, social, political, industrial, and technological forces.
- At the core of the MFA program are Graduate Projects. Taken every semester, Graduate Projects allow students to focus on their work in one-on-one meetings with a faculty member. In addition to meeting biweekly with a Visual Communication Design graduate faculty member, students may sign up for Graduate Projects with writers, artists, and academics from other departments at SAIC. Ultimately, it is the student’s work that drives the choice of advisor, and both disciplinary and interdisciplinary work is supported and advanced.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Visual Communication
- Illustration Technologies Lab
- Beginning Graphic Design
- Beginning Typography
For more information, please visit the program website.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts View 528 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
In order to apply, we must have the following items and all of your application materials in our office:
- Online application
- Artist’s Statement
- Letter of Recommendation
- Test Scores
International1730 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1730 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National1730 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1730 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
In-State1730 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1730 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.