Whether you are a poet looking to hone your craft, an aspiring novelist who wants to get that book written, or a memoirist with an urgent story to tell, our MFA program will help you achieve your writing goals.
The MFA in Creative Writing program at Dominican University of California fosters a supportive community of talented writers who are encouraged to experiment across genres and with new forms of writing.
In addition to the genres of Poetry, Fiction and Creative Nonfiction, Dominican University offers an optional track in Narrative/Poetic Medicine, which allows students to embrace the special role that creative writing can play in the process of healing.
- Flexible low-residency format customized to meet your writing goals.
- A dedicated mentor and opportunities to publish your work.
- Two on-campus residencies per year featuring dynamic speakers and workshops.
- The only narrative/poetic medicine creative writing track in the country.
- Poetry: Narrative/Poetic Medicine
- Creative Nonfiction
- Creative Nonfiction: Narrative/Poetic Medicine
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCreative Writing Literature View 760 other Masters in Literature in United States
- Completed Application
- Official Transcript(s)
- Statement of Purpose or Intent
- A statement between 300 and 800 words describing why you are interested in pursuing a graduate degree.
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Academic or professional, on letterhead.
- Prerequisite Requirements
- Personal Interview
- Applicants who have been selected to continue on in the application process will be invited to interview at BioMarin or the Buck Institute.
- Optional — GRE Record: An official copy of general Graduate Record Examination scores may be submitted
- International Applicants: International candidates must meet additional admissions requirements.
International15262 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 825 USD per credit during 24 months.
National15262 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 825 USD per credit during 24 months.
Tuition is per unit.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.