The Writing for Film, Television and Digital Media program of Academy of Art University will fine-tune your ability to deliver compelling stories, characters, and scripts that grab the reader’s attention. The MFA is an intensive program that concentrates exclusively on writing, pitching, and the business side of being a professional writer. Complete a portfolio of feature and television scripts that can be used to market your skills as a writer.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
- Effectively conduct in-depth research and apply results to create authentic story worlds, characters and dialogue
Story Development Skills
- Generate story ideas for feature films and television that grab the interest of industry readers
- Develop compelling stories that are fresh, imaginative, and marketable
- Apply essential screenwriting tools to develop stories that are structurally sound
- Create well-defined sympathetic or empathetic characters
- Analyze story/script problems and find creative solutions
Written Presentation Skills
- Write compelling loglines and premises
- Write themes that reflect a strong point of view
- Write well-developed treatments or outlines and synopses
- Write scripts that demonstrate command of story structure, scene structure, character development, action description, dialogue and subtext
- Pitch stories effectively and professionally
- Effectively collaborate on multiple projects
- Complete polished, properly formatted, error-free scripts that are ready for seeking representation and employment in the industry
- Present a strategy for accessing agents, managers and producers.
As a graduate from our writing degree program, you will have the skills necessary for a range of industry opportunities. Our faculty, facilities, and hands-on learning approach are here to provide you with the tools you need to succeed in a professional screenwriter career.
Work with writers in preparing their movies for production.
Create the blueprint for feature films. Originate the story, characters, and dramatic action in a motion picture or television series. Write scripts for feature films. Sell ideas and spec scripts as a freelancer. Get hired for an open writing assignment. Develop compelling story ideas, effectively pitch and sell those ideas, and deliver imaginative scripts that meet industry expectations.
Oversee all creative aspects of a television series.
Television Staff Writer
Work on the writing staff of a television show. Break stories and write/rewrite scripts. Collaborate with other writers and producers to develop compelling storylines for new and existing characters.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Writer-Director Intensive
- Creating Character & Backstory
- Script Analysis
- Film Language Studio
- Dialogue & Character
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media View 247 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- College transcripts must show the classes/subjects, grades, credits and number of hours completed for each class
- Applicants and sponsors must complete the Affidavit of Support Form
- An art portfolio in your chosen discipline is required with detailed descriptions for all international graduate school applicants
- An official bank letter (from student. family/parents/sponsor) must show a minimum balance of $42,000 USD or equivalent
- We do not require TOEFL or IELTS scores and do not have a minimum score requirement
- Photocopy of your valid passport
- Photocopy of your 1-20, 1-94, or other visa document
- If your transcripts are not in English. they must be translated and notarized
International1191 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1191 USD per credit during 36 months.
National1137 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1137 USD per credit during 36 months.
Living costs for San Francisco
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.