Why study the Food Security course at the University of Glasgow?
- This exciting Food Security MSc is taught through collaboration between academics with world class expertise in diverse aspects of food security.
- It discusses the demographic, social and economic issues, the challenges of achieving sustainable agriculture and presents the factors affecting food production from crops and animal sources.
- Experience guest lectures on a range of topics and site visits.
- Acquire knowledge of technology transfer and commercialisation.
- Gain practical laboratory skills in molecular biology and in genetic modification.
- Undertake a project that will develop your investigative skills
- Learn the ability to critically appraise and integrate information from different sources.
Food security is a major challenge of this century, hence there will be opportunities to develop careers in several areas.
Career prospects include:
- Working in Agri-industry
- Research institutes
- Government advisory
- International advisory
- Research positions.
The breadth of knowledge, understanding and skills you will acquire in this Masters programme will help you obtain employment or undertake research in the food security sector.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Food Security
- Food Security Fundamentals: Food of Animal Origin
- Food Security Fundamentals: Crops
- Role of Insects in Food Security
- Molecular Laboratory Skills
- Global Animal Production
- Technology transfer and commercialisation of bioscience research
- Crop Biotechnology Applications
- Plant Genetic Engineering
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesFood Sciences View 91 other Masters in Food Sciences in United Kingdom
- Entry requirements for postgraduate taught programmes are a 2.2 Honours degree or equivalent qualification (for example, GPA 3.0 or above) in a relevant subject.
- In your application, please submit a personal statement (up to 300 words) outlining why you want to study the Food Security programme and what you hope to get out of it. Please explain how your qualifications/experience to date support your application.
International21920 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 21920 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA8500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8500 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.