The Landscape Architecture program of Academy of Art University provides advanced study for students pursuing a career in Landscape Architecture.
Track 1 is available to students who have already obtained an undergraduate professional degree, such as a BLA or BArch. Coursework emphasizes theories of open urban spaces, collaborative and interdisciplinary methods of design and implementation, sustainability, and advanced digital rendering techniques.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
MFA Thesis Project
- Present an original thesis concept worthy of the MFA degree
- Demonstrate the feasibility of the thesis project
- Produce an comprehensive project that contributes to the design community, demonstrating advanced landscape architecture and design skills
- Demonstrate command of the basic principles, systems, and elements of design that inform two- and three- dimensional design and composition
- Make effective and appropriate design choices at a variety of scales
- Produce defensible design solutions
Research and Design Process
- Produce comprehensive site research and analysis
- Integrate findings from the site analysis to develop appropriate design solutions
- Display a working knowledge of the historical influences and theoretical principles of landscape design
- Incorporate appropriate public policy, law, codes and standards in the design process
- Natural Systems: Identify the indigenous natural systems, components and processes found on a given site and incorporate findings into design solutions
- Human & Social Factors: Demonstrate understanding of the diverse needs, values and customs of the communities and individuals active at the site by incorporating findings into design solutions
- Evaluate and select materials that will enhance the qualities of a given site as well as provide for the programmatic requirements
- Demonstrate an understanding of site development and site engineering as appropriate to the site design (grading, drainage, planting design and hardscape development)
- Apply principles and strategies of sustainability to design work
- Consolidate research and present ideas in a concise and convincing visual, verbal and written presentation
- Utilize appropriate media, including computer graphics and freehand drawing to communicate thinking process and design solutions
- Produce a professional portfolio and employment materials
- Demonstrate an understanding of the impact of landscape architecture on the stewardship of the environment
- Demonstrate an understanding of the ethical issues involved in landscape architectural design and practice.
Academy of Art University offers some of the best training and hands-on experience to help accelerate your future landscape architecture career. We pride ourselves in doing an exceptional job preparing you to excel in your chosen profession. Our degree programs are designed to equip aspiring landscape architects with a comprehensive toolbox of marketable skills that lead to success in the industry.
As a landscape architect, you'll analyze, plan, design, and implement natural as well as built environments of all scales. Design and plan the restoration of disturbed natural places and systems such as stream corridors, wetlands, forested areas, and mines.
As a garden designer, you'll be responsible for planting, irrigation, and some hardscape design for residences and estates, Work with other designers and staff to create a holistic vision of urban spaces in this exciting career.
Working with the landscape architect, the designer helps with planning, design, management, and stewardship of natural and built environments.
As a regional and environmental planner, you'll be responsible for land use analysis, planning, zoning, and infrastructure as well as the analysis, design, and restoration of ecological systems. Help improve our parks and recreation areas in this important and fulfilling career path.
Landscape renderers are responsible for the creation of drawings, plans, elevations, perspective, and axonometric to communicate design intent and the spatial experience.
Abstract an idea in spatial forms as a master planner. You'll envision and design large-scale communities and lead the design process from conception to final construction.
Create planting designer based on site analysis, concept, and horticultural possibilities as a planting designer. You'll use plants in a creative and sustainable way to design projects at various scales.
Responsible for the design or redesign of existing urban spaces, the urban designer crafts unique and usable apices for the public. Revitalize existing amenities, or create new physical connections in this unique and inspiring career path.
As an urban strategist, you'll develop strategies to improve underutilized urban sites to improve social impact. Urban strategists and typically landscape architects, designers, or urban designers looking to create a behavioral and social impact in urban environments.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Landscape Architecture Design Theory
- Designing Public Spaces Studio
- Digital Graphics for Landscape Architecture
- The History of Urban Landscapes
- Graduate Liberal Arts
- Regional Planning & Analysis Studio
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesArchitecture View 302 other Masters in Architecture in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- College transcripts must show the classes/subjects, grades, credits and number of hours completed for each class
- Applicants and sponsors must complete the Affidavit of Support Form
- An art portfolio in your chosen discipline is required with detailed descriptions for all international graduate school applicants
- An official bank letter (from student. family/parents/sponsor) must show a minimum balance of $42,000 USD or equivalent
- We do not require TOEFL or IELTS scores and do not have a minimum score requirement
- Photocopy of your valid passport
- Photocopy of your 1-20, 1-94, or other visa document
- If your transcripts are not in English. they must be translated and notarized
International1191 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1191 USD per credit and a duration of 36 months.
National1137 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1137 USD per credit and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.