The Art Education program of Academy of Art University will prepare you for a career as a successful and innovative art teacher in classrooms K-12. This program is designed for AAU BFA in Art Education recipients and meets both national and California art education standards, and includes one semester of student teaching in a public school classroom, mentored by a master teacher. Once you have completed all coursework and student teaching requirements, and passed both cycles of California Teacher Performance Assessment testing, you will be recommended for a California K-12 art teaching credential. For your Capstone project, you will be encouraged to think like an advocate in order to create a dynamic arts advocacy video to educate the public about the importance of art education to a 21st century creative economy.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
- Make subject matter comprehensible to students
- Gauge student learning using a variety of assessment strategies
- Engage and support all students in learning
- Plan instruction and design learning experiences for all students
- Create and maintain an effective environment for student learning
- Develop as a professional educator
- Create a professional portfolio suitable for seeking employment as a credentialed art educator in the state of California
- Develop a comprehensive plan to effectively advocate for Art Education in the 21st century
Academy of Art University offers some of the best training and hands-on experience to help you excel in careers in art education. We pride ourselves in doing an exceptional job preparing you to excel as an art educator. Our degree programs are designed to equip aspiring art instructors with a comprehensive toolbox of marketable skills that will lead to success in your future career.
As an art teacher in a private, public, or charter school, you’ll help inspire the artists of tomorrow directly in the classroom. You’ll prepare and implement lesson plans, address various learning styles and needs, and analyze qualitative and quantitative student data.
Community Arts Leader
As an arts leader in community settings you’ll plan, organize, and implement programs as well as activities for a wide range of audiences and settings. Help bring the arts to communities around the world or in your backyard and bring the joy of arts to everyone.
As an art education instructor at a university, you’ll contribute to the higher education of tomorrow’s artists. Explore complex subjects, lead class discussions, and encourage critical thinking as you guide students through various subjects.
Inspire the next generation of artists as a museum educator. You’ll lead hands-on tours and activities for a range of audiences, as well as contribute to the educational growth of your community.
As a teaching artist, you’ll instruct artists of the future in a variety of settings. You’ll develop curriculum and syllabi with Program Directors, coordinators, as well as lead teachers and establish lines of communication with students and their families.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Teaching Audiences in a Diverse Society
- Teaching Audiences with Special Needs
- Instruction & Assessment of Academic Literacy
- Visual Storytelling: Editing for Short-Form Video Content
- Student Teaching Seminar
- Student Teaching in Public School Classroom
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesEducation Visual Arts View 3505 other Masters in Education in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- College transcripts must show the classes/subjects, grades, credits and number of hours completed for each class
- Applicants and sponsors must complete the Affidavit of Support Form
- An art portfolio in your chosen discipline is required with detailed descriptions for all international graduate school applicants
- An official bank letter (from student. family/parents/sponsor) must show a minimum balance of $42,000 USD or equivalent
- We do not require TOEFL or IELTS scores and do not have a minimum score requirement
- Photocopy of your valid passport
- Photocopy of your 1-20, 1-94, or other visa document
- If your transcripts are not in English. they must be translated and notarized
International1191 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1191 USD per credit and a duration of 18 months.
National1137 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1137 USD per credit and a duration of 18 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.