Students are supported in cultivating their own areas of interests, and in developing research trajectories and critical skills necessary for a unique art practice.
- In critiques, seminars, individualized studio practice, independent studies and deeply engaging social environments, MFA students enhance their ability to consider and shape the physical and virtual world—and, by extension, the political and social fields they inhabit.
- To earn the Art degree from California Institute of the Arts CalArts, candidates must pass two faculty reviews of their overall artistic and academic progress—once at mid-residence and again prior to graduation.
- Students are expected to present a project or exhibition during the first year, and required to do so by the end of the second. Graduate students work in individual studios.
- In addition to CalArts' rich and diverse community and naturally collaborative atmosphere, the Institute provides several programs of study that can be pursued concurrently with a student's chosen metier.
- The Integrated Media concentration is designed specifically for MFA students whose creative use of technology—in particular digital media—goes beyond their primary areas of study.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts View 804 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Credentials, diplomas and certificates of secondary-school and college-level work must be presented in English translation. International students applying to MFA programs must submit evidence of receipt of an undergraduate degree or its equivalent.
- The records must clearly state the date of completion (or the anticipated date of completion) and the level of education received with notations as to the number of hours attended per week and the total number of weeks completed.
- Scan and upload copies of transcripts for all institutions attended. In the online application, you will be prompted to upload a PDF of your scanned documents. Please upload both the front and back sides of the transcript, even if the back side is blank.
International52850 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 52850 USD per year during 24 months.
National52850 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 52850 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for California
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.