The Master of Arts in Teaching in Middle Grades Education program at Mercer University is designed to offer a comprehensive study of the specialized skills needed to teach and support students in grades 4-8. The program offers a wide scope of course content that focuses on theoretical and pedagogical issues while incorporating research, assessment, and technology integration. Diverse field experiences throughout the program help to prepare teachers to support the diverse needs of students.
The program is designed for: recent college graduates with degrees in fields other than education; re-careering professionals; paraprofessionals who have bachelor's degrees; teachers who hold non-renewable certificates and who want to earn Clear Renewable master's level certificate; and teacher candidates from a wide variety of academic majors who are interested in earning both initial certification and a master's level teaching certificate.
Upon completion of the program, students will be prepared to:
- Understand the social, behavioral, emotional, cognitive and physical characteristics and needs of the preadolescent student
- Understand how students differ in their approaches to learning and how the learning environment can be adapted to meet the diverse needs of middle grades
- Design and implement an integrated, developmentally appropriate curriculum for at least two content concentration areas that considers the social, behavioral, emotional, cognitive and physical nature and needs of middle grades students.
- Develop and implement a wide variety of formative and summative assessment strategies
- Integrate research based strategies and instructional technology effectively into all components of the middle school curriculum.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Foundations of Education
- Planning & Organizing Instruction in MG
- Adolescent Development & Learning
- Teaching Exceptional Learners
- Culturally and Educationally Responsive Pedagogy
- Content Area Reading: Literacy Development for Middle Grades/Secondary Education
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
The program enrolls students five times per year in August, October, January, March, and May on Mercer's Atlanta campus.
DisciplinesSecondary Education View 267 other Masters in Secondary Education in United States
- Online or Paper Application for Admission to Mercer University
- $25 Application Fee*
- Official College transcript(s)
- Georgia Assessment for the Certification of Educators (GACE) for Program Admission test scores*
- GACE Georgia Educators Ethics Assessment completion certificate
Additional Requirements for International Applicants
- Evaluation of Foreign Credentials
- Official Translations
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): The TOEFL or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test is required for international applicants whose primary language is not English.
- Financial Guarantee
- Visa Status
International7560 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3780 USD per semester during 24 months.
National7560 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3780 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Doraville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.