Glass MFA students from Rhode Island School of Design develop a distinctly personal aesthetic through source research, vigorous studio experimentation, regular critiques and a series of graduate seminars on contemporary art theory and criticism. Glass faculty—a highly respected group of practicing artists and dedicated educators—help students to hone practices that demonstrate a deep understanding of both contemporary art issues and the rich history of art and glass.
In addition to group discussions, tutorials and critiques, two core seminars and workshops form the heart of the graduate curriculum. Glass MFA students have the opportunity to pursue courses in areas that complement their work and ideas at both RISD and Brown University.
Graduates with Glass from Rhode Island School of Design will be able to:
- demonstrate technical mastery in creative glassmaking processes such as casting, moldmaking, hot glass and coldworking, and in comprehensive safety practices
- exhibit well-developed team working skills and technical ability in the creative process and in the use and maintenance of all facilities
- pursue a studio practice with dedication, rigor and consistency
- establish a reliable methodology for developing work and ideas conceptually, materially and technically
- research visual and historical precedents to develop grounding and framework for creative practice
- articulate the conceptual and positioning of one's own artworks in the context of historical and contemporary glass practice
- Graduate Glass
- Graduate Glass Degree Program Workshop
- Graduate Critical Issues Seminar
- Elective graduate seminar
- Non-major studio elective
- Open elective
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering Visual Arts View 388 other Masters in Materials Science & Engineering in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Application form
- Academic transcripts
- Statement of purpose
- Writing sample
- Letters of recommendation
- English language proficiency test
International56435 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 56435 USD per year during 24 months.
National56435 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 56435 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Providence
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.