Enrich the lives and relationships of others as they journey through uncertain times in their lives. Marriage, Couple, and Family Counselors believe that significant relationships influence individual experience and directly and indirectly affect our well-being throughout life.
Stetson University Marriage, Couple and Family Counselors are well equipped to be successful in the field with diverse individuals, couple and families.
The Marriage, Couple and Family Counseling program of Stetson University is unique because therapists receive training in both individual psychotherapy and family systems, which allows them to focus on understanding client symptoms in the context of their relational interactions. Marriage and Family Therapists work with diverse individuals, couples, and families from a relational perspective, and treat a wide range of clinical issues including, depression, anxiety, mood disorders, substance abuse, trauma, and more. Research has shown that family- based interventions are highly effective and provide a powerful model for change. Marriage and Family therapists utilize a holistic perspective and are concerned about the overall, long-term well-being of individuals and their families.
The mission of the Department of Counselor Education is to educate counseling students--including those from diverse academic, geographic, religious/spiritual, ethnic and cultural backgrounds--preparing them to accept and demonstrate their professional counseling responsibilities with distinction. Students learn to behave ethically, become aware of their personal strengths and resiliency, as well as their professional counseling responsibilities in an effort to apply these skills and self-knowledge to a culturally diverse clientele.
The Marriage and Family Counseling Program is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs, also known as CACREP. CACREP accreditation indicates that programs have a rigorous curriculum and provide comprehensive fieldwork supervision.
Upon graduation, students are eligible to apply to the State of Florida as a Registered Marriage and Family Therapist intern, take the licensure examination and accrue the necessary hours under qualified supervision to become a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT).
- Evaluation and Assessment
- Legal, Ethical, and Professional Issues
- Human Relations Methods and Skills
- Group Counseling
- Theories of Counseling
- Human Development
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFamily & Consumer Science Counselling Psychology View 605 other Masters in Counselling Psychology in United States
- Application for Admission
- $50 Application Fee
- College/University Transcripts: Official transcripts from all previous universities and/or colleges attended
- Recommendations: Three professional and/or academic letters of recommendation that can speak to your success in a graduate program
- Applicant Resume
- Applicant Statement: Statements are typically 1-3 pages typed
- We accept scores from either the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) General Test or the Millers Analogies Test (MAT). Students with earned master's degrees are not required to submit test scores.
- Counselor Education Informational Video: Applicants must watch a 50-minute video as an introduction to Stetson's Counselor Education programs. This video covers important information that Stetson is required to share with program applicants
- Interview and Timed Written Statement
- All applicants for admission whose native language is not English are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
International26850 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 895 USD per credit during 24 months.
National26850 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 895 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for DeLand
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.