The Vision Science program of the Pacific University Oregon engages students in advanced study and research of the visual system and prepares them for career success in teaching and/or research in academic settings or application in the ophthalmic industry.
Faculty of Pacific University College of Optometry have expertise in numerous fields, including contact lenses, optics, ocular disease, binocular vision and learning, sports vision, vision performance, low vision, and neuroanatomy.
Students are accepted into the program with a minimum of a bachelor of science (or the equivalent). The MSVS program provides an individual with a comprehensive understanding of vision science, in-depth knowledge in a particular area within the field, and a solid training in vision research methodology.
The degree requirements include a minimum of 36 semester hours of coursework and a written thesis based upon original research. It usually takes about two years of study.
Students who have earned a doctor of optometry degree from an accredited program in the past five years or who are studying in Pacific's OD program may take an abbreviated course of study to complete the MSVS in one year.
Career Paths and Prospects | Vision Science (MS)
Vision science is foundational for the profession of optometry and also permeates many other fields. The MSVS program provides advanced education in vision science to prepare students for careers success in health care, academic and industrial settings. Students will be equipped to be professional vision scientists through enhanced education on knowledge of the visual system and solid training on designing, conducting and evaluating vision research.
Following completion of the program, graduates will find themselves well-prepared to take on career paths such as:
- Teaching and/or research in an academic setting, particularly those wish to pursue higher degrees in the field of vision science
- Acting as a consultant or research advocate for clinic research
- Working in industry to develop or evaluate new products, clinic tools, or ergonomic devices (e.g., contact lens, optical lens, clinical measuring equipment, etc.)
- Working with the electronic display companies or the entertainment industry to develop visual display devices, design visual stimuli and graphics, create video games or visual learning materials, and create effective and comfort viewing environment, etc.
- Working in government sectors, particularly in development of public health and occupational policies or regulations regarding vision in the workplace and quality of life
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Visual Optics
- Evidence-Based Research & Practice
- Anatomy, Biochemistry, & Physiology of the Eye
- Neuroanatomy of Visual Pathway
- Normal & Abnormal Eye Movement
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesComplementary & Alternative Medicine View 31 other Masters in Complementary & Alternative Medicine in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed application form
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Two letters of recommendation
- A bachelor's degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution
- Satisfactory performance (C or higher) on all undergraduate prerequisites
- Valid proof of English language proficiency
- After the initial review of a completed application, the Vision Science Graduate Programs Committee may contact qualifying candidates for an interview through video-conference interface (e.g., Skype)
International28791 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28791 USD per year during 24 months.
National28791 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28791 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Forest Grove
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.