It offers advanced studies in literary history and theory, rhetorical theory, the history of rhetoric and composition studies, as well as practical applications in teaching.
The Master of Arts in English is the preferred graduate degree for individuals who want to develop their credentials in order to teach dual credit courses in high school classrooms or composition classes in two-year and four-year institutions of higher education, as well as professional writers and other members of the workforce whose occupations require excellent reading, writing and analytical skills, and students who are preparing for further work in a doctoral program in English.
Accessible to working professionals
The Master of Arts in English can be completed in two years of full time study or three years of part time study. Additionally, the program emphasizes hybrid courses, combining classroom and online instruction.
- British Literature of the Middle Ages
- British Literature of the Early Modern Period
- British Literature of the 18th and 19th Centuries
- American Literature to the Civil War
- American Literature from the Civil War to the Present
- Teaching Literature
- World Literature
- Women Writers
- Contemporary Literature
- Studies in Literary Theory
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies View 919 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
- Online Graduate Studies Application
- $40 Application Fee
- Transcript Submission
- Verification of English competency
Submit an official TOEFL or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score report verifying a minimum total score of one of the following:
- TOEFL (paper-based): 550
- TOEFL (internet-based): 79
- IELTS: 6
- Copy of Visa or Passport
- International Graduate Student Estimate of Expenses
- International Statement of Finance Form
- International Student Transfer Form
- For more information regarding specific program requirements and program application deadlines, refer to the Graduate Programs tab
International692 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 692 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National692 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 692 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
In-State351 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 351 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.