We offer a master degree in Creative Writing at The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley. It is a studio/research program providing the support and challenge of a workshop environment, as well as scholarly training in literary structures and techniques.
- Ranked #79 among 300+ national universities by Washington Monthly in 2018
- Accredited, cutting edge degree program
- Experienced, dedicated faculty
- Affordable tuition (ranked #1 in net price among national universities by Washington Monthly in 2018 and #3 most affordable university in America 2018 by BestValueSchools.com)
- Teaching Creative Writing
- Studies in Composition Techniques
- Literary Translation Workshop
- Special Topics in Writing Literary Genres
- Fiction Workshop
- Creative Nonfiction Workshop
- Poetry Workshop
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
Students are encouraged to apply at least 2 months before classes start to ensure a timely application review.
DisciplinesCreative Writing View 352 other Masters in Creative Writing in United States
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or a recognized international equivalent in a similar or related field.
- Undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0.
- Official transcripts from each institution attended (must be submitted directly to UTRGV).
- Personal statement detailing professional goals and reasons for pursuing the graduate degree.
- Three letters of recommendation from professional or academic sources.
- Portfolio of creative work (8 -10 pages of poetry or around 20 pages of fiction, creative nonfiction, or scriptwriting. Combinations of genres and common-sense equivalent creative work of graphic stories or mixed genre work will be given due consideration, as well as work in Spanish or Tex-Mex).
International37917 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 37917 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
National37917 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 37917 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
In-State20739 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20739 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Texas City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.