Students elect to pursue either a Geology or a Geological Engineering emphasis, each of which has different background and program requirements. Both thesis and non-thesis (coursework) tracks are available.
Graduate Programs Outcomes
Department-wide expectations for the Geology and Geological Engineering program at South Dakota School of Mines and Technology are designed to target the following program outcomes in the context of the GGE Strategic Plan and greater professional community:
- Students will have technical expertise.
- Students will be effective communicators.
- Students will engage in meaningful professional service.
- Students will impact the profession.
The available coursework and current faculty expertise in Geology and Geological Engineering support the following areas of concentration:
- Energy and Mineral Resources
- Groundwater and Environment
- Petrology and Mineralogy
- Structure and Tectonics
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
Most programs accept applications after the stated deadlines. International- up to 90 days prior to the start date (60 days-domestic U.S. applicants).
DisciplinesGeology Geographical Information Systems (GIS) General Engineering & Technology View 1841 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in United States
- Completed application form. Submit Online
- $35.00 application fee, payable online by credit card at the time of application
- Official transcripts from all U.S. institutions attended. Transcripts must be sent directly by the issuing institution. Documents can be sent electronically or by postal mail. Transcripts sent directly by the applicant are not accepted. Scanned copies are not accepted. A GPA of 3.0 or higher is typically required; students with exceptional ability may apply with less than 3.0 GPA.
- One page statement of purpose/personal statement of goals and research interests.
- GRE score report: The South Dakota Mines school code is 6652. A department copy is not required. Scores of 50% or higher are recommended; strong quantitative scores are expected.
- Three letters of recommendation
International14664 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14664 USD per year during 24 months.
National14664 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14664 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State8520 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8520 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Rapid City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.