With no specific vocational or professional orientation, the MALS degree is an alternative to the highly specialized course of study characteristic of most traditional graduate programs. As such, the degree may lead to a range of career opportunities and to further study.
The pursuit of wisdom suggests that one needs more than specialized knowledge or mastery of one particular technique. One must study the heritage of the modern world and develop the ability to see people, ideas, and events from a perspective that is wider than one’s own. The Reed College Liberal Studies program provides motivated adults with just such an opportunity.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Fifties in the U.S.
- Horror and the Sublime in Russian Culture
- Turn-of-the-Century Vienna and Prague
- Dante's Divine Comedy
- Hindu Religious Traditions
- LiSex, Gender and Political Theory
- The Politics of Genre
- Women in the Ancient World
- Classical Traditions and Receptions
- Race and the Immigrant Experience
- Islam in the Modern World
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLiberal Arts View 386 other Masters in Liberal Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants and recommenders should complete and submit their respective forms electronically. Please note that these forms do not allow you to save and return to them later for modification; they will time out after three hours. You should make sure that the form is complete and accurate before submitting. We recommend that you save a screen shot or hard copy of the completed form before submitting. You will receive an email confirmation of receipt if the form was submitted correctly.
- Applicants should request official transcripts from the originating institution. They may be sent electronically or via snail mail, but do make sure that they are directed to the MALS office at Reed. Once all forms are received, the MALS office will notify students about completion of the application and scheduling an interview.
- The $75 application fee
International9800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4900 USD per semester during 24 months.
National9800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4900 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Portland
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.