It builds additional competence in the subject area of English. Successful completion of the program leads to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts academic requirements for licensure to teach English at the secondary level. It also prepares students for advanced studies in literature at the doctoral level.
The Master of Arts in Teaching English at Salem State University is a thirty-one to thirty-seven (31-37) hour degree program offering candidates opportunities for reflection and research in principles and practices for instruction of English language and literature, with particular emphasis on fieldwork experiences. Successful completion of the program leads to fulfillment of Commonwealth of Massachusetts requirements for initial licensure to teach English at the middle and secondary level.
Salem State University's mission is to provide a high quality, student-centered education that prepares a diverse community of learners to contribute responsibly and creatively to a global society, and serve as a resource to advance the region's cultural, social and economic development.
- Applying Human Development to Teaching and Assessment
- Culturally Responsive Teaching
- Teaching Students with Exceptional Learning Needs
- Special Education History and Law
- Programmatic Assessment for Initial Education Licensure
- Methods of Teaching English
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesLiterature Teaching Linguistics View 812 other Masters in Literature in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- $50 non-refundable application fee
- Official transcript or transcript evaluation
- Three references. At least two must be from persons able to speak to your academic qualifications and performance. At least one must speak to your potential scholarship in English.
- English Proficiency, if applicable for international applicants
- Statement of purpose (500- to 1,000-words, double-spaced) addressing the following:
- Your interest in teaching English as the secondary level (grades 8-12)
- Your interest in studying English at the graduate level (ie, how you see yourself as a scholar of English)
- MA/MAT English Dual Degree does not require the GRE or MAT.
International20754 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10377 USD per semester during 12 months.
National20754 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10377 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State17514 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8757 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Salem
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.