Students in the School Counseling program offered by Florida Gulf Coast University take coursework in the areas of human development, legal and ethical issues of the profession, career development, appraisal methods, counseling theories, group work, practicum and research, and program evaluation. Additional specialized courses focusing on school counseling are offered in areas such as internship, special populations, consultation, and professional development.
Students who are not already certified teachers or taken educational preparation courses will be required to enroll in two additional courses and complete all subsections of the state FTCE exam to qualify for state certification. Students without prior training as teachers who wish to become certified school counseling professionals must complete additional courses in classroom management, curriculum and instruction, and reading.
The Counseling Department offers an opportunity to earn a single MA degree with both the Clinical Mental Health Counseling major and the School Counseling major. Students must meet initial admissions requirements of both programs to qualify for this option. Students may elect the dual major option at any time after admission to one of the programs and prior to graduation.
All applicants are advised that in order to complete the program, they must complete internships.
Counseling Criminal Record Policy Statement
All applicants are advised that in order to complete the program, they must complete internships. Most internship facilities do background checks and will not permit the placement of counselor interns with criminal records. The Department reserves the right to deny program admission to any applicant if it appears that applicant is unlikely to be able to complete the internship requirement due to a criminal record, thus inhibiting their ability to complete the program.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Intro to School Counseling
- Appraisal Procedures
- Career Development
- Counselling Theory for School
- Advanced School Counsel Method
- Counseling Spec Population
- Human Development for School Counselor
- Consultation and Collaborative Problem Solving
- Group Work for School Professional
- 24 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology Counselling View 979 other Masters in Counselling in United States
- FGCU graduate application
- Official academic transcripts from every college or university attended
- Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Submission of three favorable recommendations from professionals in the field
- Statement of career goals (two-three pages)
- Evidence of Florida Teacher or Educator certification (if applicable) OR Passing score on FTCE subsections including: General Knowledge Test, Professional Educator Examination & Guidance and Counseling Subject Area exam (prior to graduation)
- Interview (by invitation)
International36400 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1300 USD per credit during 24 months.
National36400 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1300 USD per credit during 24 months.
In-State10444 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 373 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Fort Myers Beach
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.